Monthly Archives: December 2016

PHP IPAM installation issues and how to fix or avoid them

The issues I had was during the install process were with broken CSS, a jQuery error, a couple missing PHP modules, broken Captcha images and unusable complex passwords.

The broken CSS and jQuery errors were a result of my client’s web server SSLSessionCache configuration was incorrect (missing) and their intermediate certificate was also corrupt. I fixed both of these issues and it fixed the CSS and jQuery errors. If you have these issues, it isn’t likely an PHPIPAM problem, but a problem with your server config.

The second issue was post install:

Warning: file(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed in functions/classes/class.Tools.php on line 1694

The very simple fix for this is to make sure the PHP curl module is installed. It’s not listed as a required module on the PHP IPAM installation guide, but it definitely is.

In addition, my Captcha images were broken. I had GD installed, but I didn’t have the PHP GD module installed. Easily fixed by installing the PHP GD module and a quick web server restart.

Finally, if you are like me and use ridiculously complex passwords generated by a cloud-based secret server, such as Encryptr, LastPass, Thycotic, 1Password, etc, it should be noted that while you can use a password up to 128 characters long, per the DB schema, you cannot use special characters, or at least some special characters. I had to use the ‘functions/scripts/reset-admin-password.php’ feature a few times. When using an invalid password you are not provided with any warnings; it simply accepts it, so this issue may not be obvious at first.

All these issues are trivial and easily fixed or circumvented. The PHPIPAM software is amazing and please do not let this post discourage you from installing it.

Update: I found another PHP module that is required post-installation that isn’t mentioned on the PHP IPAM website, which is the ctype module. It addresses this issue:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function ctype_digit() in functions/PEAR/Net/IPv4.php on line 242